The Birthplace of AIRAH 444 Collins St, Scott's Hotel
Melbourne, Victoria In mid-1919, a group of engineers met at Scott’s Hotelat 444 Collins St, Melbourne, to discuss forming an association to commemorate the work of James Harrison, inventor and pioneer of the refrigeration process.
Less than a year later, at the same building on March 29, 1920, the Victorian Institute of Refrigeration was born. James Stroud, from Carlton & United Breweries, was namedPresident, and Fred Goldman, chief engineer of the Wimmera Inland Freezing Company, was named secretary.
Scott’s Hotel was originally known as “the city home of country people”. It was renowned for the pastoral property auctions that were held there. It also served as the gathering place for racehorse owners and breeders, was Dame Nellie Melba’s favourite hotel, and was the Melbourne residence of English cricketers such as WG Grace.
Sadly the building no longer stands. The prestige of Scott’s Hotel had diminished by the mid-20th century, and it was demolished in 1962.
The lot at 444 Collins St is now occupied by AON Centre, a commercial office complex.